Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Mekong: Stung Treng to Phnom Penh - 420km


Sometimes being good at math can be quite handy while cycling. Peter took the bus to Phnom Penh and I started cycling along the Mekong. On the first 40km I lost counting on the 17th bridge, I suspect it was closer to 20-25. By km 50 the dirtroad had turned into a lovely trail and I had great hopes for the rest of the ride. But then I came to the first bridge-less crossing and realised it wouldn't be that easy. Backtracking a bit, I bumped into the guys in charge of the mekong discovery trail and was told that for the next 60km there were no bridges yet but they were trying to raise the funds to build them. I did the math. Could mean anything from 10 to 30 crossings and decided I couldn't be bothered. I was having a splendid time, the day wasn't that hot, the ride was beautiful, didn't mind riding in the highway for a while and then getting back to the river. With the exception of a few Ks here and there, I hadn't rode on tarmac since Sihanookville. The highway turned out to be peaceful, for some reason there was no traffic at all and I found it highly enjoyable, leisurely passing by villages, having brief stops, following the ice cream man for a while and of course getting one for myself-I think we did 10-15km almost side by side, he was faster in the in-betweens but had to stop in every village to serve the screaming kids. By sunset I was back in the Mekong and just kept going, apart from the usual dogs chasing me every once in a while, serenity is the word that described the day. More or less without realising it I made it to Kratie having done a whopping 185km, just in time for a christmas burger and beer in the guesthouse I stayed.



Enjoying a mango over a milestone
Eating my ice cream and having the nerve to post this photo
Yet another sunset


Spot the dolphin!
This part of the Mekong is home to fresh water dolphins and a great effort is being made to preserve their habitat as much as possible. There is the inevitable tours happening, with all the profits going back to the community and the sanctuary. The ticket is quite expensive for Cambodian standards-and chances are you won't be seeing any dolphins jumping around you-but it's money worth spending.
Kratie, without having any particular beauty, can keep you for a long time. 4 days passed and I could have easily stayed for more.


My trusty gondolier...
...who later let me conquer my 10x10 island
Frescoes in a temple near Kratie. I'm going to hell!

And another...


I broke a tooth the other day and for a brief second
entertained the idea of visiting this dentist.
Would his skills be as good as his painting ones?
















For the rest of the ride I hopped to the west and more quiet side of the river, choosing the dirtroad instead of the highway once again. Being next to the river meant no hills, at least for most of the part. It's a very charming ride, everything moves in slow motion in this side of the country and I had the feeling that everbody was in siesta mode all day. A surprisingly high hill awaited me 20km before Campong Cham and got to see endless stretches of rubber trees up there.
For reasons unknown, apart from 10km of tarmac after Campong Cham, the next 40 before the highway were absolutely shit, potholes after potholes meant a very bumpy ride and lots of sympathetic looks from the locals. I guess I needed a transition from the serenity of the previous days to the expected madness of the highway to Phnom Penh.

Floating houses along the way

One of dozens of temples

The guy in the hammock should have been me!








The rubber trees





Stats and facts:
Stung Treng to Kratie:185km. Even though I enjoyed every bit of it, it is a bit long. A stay overnight at Wat Sarsar Muy Roi at km 145 or any of the surrounding villages might be a better option. My marking on the map is wrong, I turned there towards the Mekong and not after.
Kratie to Campong Cham: 123km. The crossing point is 5km after Kratie, right after the big iron bridge. There is only one ferry going across so you might have to wait a bit in the nearby food stall(40 minutes in my case).
Campong Cham to Phnom Penh: 112km.
Being so close to the capital, means there is an over-abundance of stalls, villages, markets etc. so don't stress too much about supplies.

1 comment: